Tuesday, September 17, 2013

About Me

My name is Charles-Louis de Secondat, the Baron de Montesquieu. I was born January 18, 1689 in La Brède, France. I went to college and studied science and history which led me to my interest in government. I became the Baron de Montesquieu at the age of 27 when my uncle died and I then began serving as a judge. I became a writer and have become well known because of the publishing of my book Persian Letter which came out in 1721. My book talks about the lifestyle of the French as well as the church. Another book, which I am best known for, is titled On the Spirit of Law and is where I discuss my views on the government. I have a strong belief that the best government is when the people elect the officials to serve them but the power must be balanced. The separation of powers is how the government should be set up to prevent one group from gaining too much power over the others. My idea of the separation of powers led the United States and England to develop a system of government which the democracy is divided to give equal power among the groups.

Geib, Richard J. "BARON DE MONTESQUIEU." Baron De Montesquieu : A Short Biography. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Sept. 2013.
Dégert, Antoine. "Charles-Louis de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 10. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1911. 17 Sept. 2013 <http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10536a.htm>.

1 comment:

  1. You and I are quite different but similar at the same time, Montesquieu. I too, went to college studying science and then switched to government. Although your views on government are ones I strongly disagree with. People need a strong ruler to keep them in order. The people should have little say in the government decisions because they would be selfish and make it about them. When you want to know more about the correct ways to rule, read my book The Leviathan.
    -Hobbes

    ReplyDelete